Recently I have been battling with a candida overgrowth, parasites, problems with pollen and house dust. The resulting detox has been worse than the symptoms. Ok. Maybe not. It’s all be rather interesting. But I am in safe hands and working with an amazing kinesiologist.
I’ve studied nutrition and have healed other things naturally, undertaking hours of research and experimenting. This time for this detox I wanted a safe pair of hands to guide me through it. Because I have never detoxed before I really felt that a sounding board would be the best way forward.
Why do I tell you about my worms and things? Because undertaking a detox in any area of your life can be painful and having someone to support you is vital.
“Personal branding is about connecting to and embracing who you are and, no matter what, being true to your heart and soul. Then getting out there, rocking your brand and delivering value that reaches the heart of your tribe.” Dale Darley
What is a personal brand?
Before you start on a personal brand detox, I’d like to share what I mean by personal brand. There’s lots of definitions and just as many ways to determine what it is. This is mine…
You already have a personal brand whether you want one or not – simply by being you, you have a brand. Developing a personal brand is in part about discovering the things that bring you joy and fulfilment and then translating these into ways you can inspire and impact others while loving what you do.
Your personal brand also exists in the minds of others in the way they perceive, think, and feel about you. It’s important to remember that your personal brand is not what you think it is, but it’s what others perceive it to be. However, it is up to you to understand what makes you, you first, connect with your heart and share from that place of wisdom.
Your personal brand is built 24/7 and 365 days per year through what you say, what you do, how you do it, what you look like, and the impression you leave. It’s essential to be consistent in how you communicate your brand. If you were trying to sell you like a product, the consistency of your message is what will get you noticed. And as we know, it is all about like, know and trust.
And none of us gets it right. Unlike the celebs we do not have someone crafting our brand and telling us what to say and do. We are beautifully imperfect and I believe it is in making mistakes (insert expletive with ups on the end) that we do find our way.
I believe that we are always on the right path. Even when it doesn’t feel like it.
When I look at personal branding, I do it from the inside out. By looking at how you can manage your personal brand from the inside out, you can radiate who you are on your terms. It all starts with a heart connection.
The components of a heart-led personal brand are:-
- Inner you: Who are you, who do you want to be, where are you, what do you want to create, values, passion, purpose (reason for being), vision, beliefs, energy, inspiration, self-love, attitude (there’s probably more…)
- Competencies: Knowledge, skills, experiences
- Your story: Which story is the story that inspires you to do what you do and the message you share?
- The outer you: How you show up, heart connection with others, the people you surround yourself with, communication style, inspirational message, the impact you want to make
- Differentiation: What separates you from others and leaves a lasting memory in the minds and hearts of others, competitive advantage
- Content with personality: Tells your story and reason for being, shares your expertise and experience
- Connection and community: How you communicate what you do, how you show up, being consistent, how you build community, causes
A great time to look at you as a ‘brand’ is when you have been through transition or are at a crossroads. I am sure that’s somewhere we have all been and spent some time wondering what next and where do I go from here? I call this the cosmic roundabout of life.
Other times might include when you are looking at books you have written but are not maximising. Courses and programs that you have mapped out, but are in the cupboard under the stairs. After a big wake-up call is another time to reassess.
For me, the last few years have been a journey and a half, what you might call an adventure with my soul. There have been many times when I wanted to get off the planet or simply hide in the hills (luckily I live in the hills..). Knowing that these challenges and lessons are here to test and help you grow does not help sometimes.
There are gifts in all of lifes funnies…
Of course, hiding is not an option. Personal growth is the only way to achieving lasting change. As we grow, we change, and as we change, we grow.
During your growth spurts and as you change, you can feel confused about who you are and what you have been placed on Earth to do. Who am I, what do I do, why do I do this could be some of the questions rushing through your intoxicated brain.
The thing is that unless you are prepared to take your life by the short and curlies, no one else will, and you will remain stuck.
Being at a crossroads is great. Feeling overwhelmed is great. Feeling conflicted is normal. Ok, you may not agree with me, but I believe that conflict is an opportunity for change. The key is to recognise that you are on the cusp of something wonderful and to take action.
After mulling things over and reflecting, I came to the conclusion that I needed to clear the decks and get on with a personal brand detox. And this I have been doing in quite a brutal way. Detoxing your body has a way of making you (forcing you) to look at life differently.
My vision board has been wiped clean. It’s odd to look up and see nothing… My 90 day plan scrapped. But now there is space for these to reform.
Personal branding is not the pretty colours, logos, websites and blogs that the outside world sees. Well, yes, it is, but it so much more about the inner you. Get the inner you sorted, and your personal brand will shine through. Get your YOU brand sorted, then you can rock it out to the world. Then you can build personal brand love.
How to start
- Get clear on what a personal brand means to you, what having one gives you and how others will know who you are when they come into your vibrational field – your energy
- Take your time – Rome wasn’t built in a day, and you need time to reflect
- Chunk it down. Baby steps always work for me
- Wipe all slates clean
- Connect to the inner you and work out what you want, what you want to create and for whom. Detoxing the inner you will reflect the outer you, your essence and your vibration. Journaling is great for this. I recommend everyone journals and if you don’t know how to start – try this introduction to journaling course
- Do a personal brand audit – go through your stuff and simplify so that what you say and how you do it is clear, from the heart, values-led and purposeful.
- Remove people with toxic behaviours. Create strong boundaries and surround yourself with YOU champions
- Get rid of habits that do not serve you. Ok. Not easy, but we have to start somewhere… I made myself a planner that works for me
- Try things, remember there is only feedback. Learn and keep going
- Review often
- Celebrate your success
- And of course, measure in whatever way that suits you
The key to brand success
You are a swirling mass of energy, where the passion and purpose of your YOU brand pulses through you and your brand’s personality. In a perfect world, your inner and outer world would beat in time as one heart pumping blood around the system, each part acting out its role to keep your brand alive.
The bottom line is you are in the business of nurturing yourself, being yourself, delivering promises and value to your tribe. For one moment, consider how you, the brand asset, work to enable that to happen. The key to your success is finding the heart of your personal brand, knowing how to use your story, and being connected with your purpose (your ‘why’ or reason for being).
And finally, as The Joker says ‘What kind of a world is this where a man dressed as a bat gets ALL MY PRESS? This town needs an enema!
Connect with me to discuss a personal brand review – it’s gentler than an enema and who knows, a fresh pair of eyes and strategy will take you…